Wednesday, December 19, 2012

FINALLY, my ZOOM VERSA prepper stove arrived!

The FedEx man wobbled as he carried this rather small box to the door, and when Stud brought it inside he asked:  "What did you order?  Concrete blocks?"

It is HEAVY.

I was expecting something larger, but when you realize you can cook using sticks and twigs - charcoal - or as advertised: dried dung, it doesn't have to be large to be powerful.

It seems to have two names, which is confusing.  Either it's a ZOOM VERSA, or it's an ECO ZOOM, but it would help if they'd choose one already!

These are being sent to foreign countries (for free) so that those in third world countries can cook. . . . I'm kinda confused here, since they've been cooking for centuries, but whatever it takes. . . They at least have lots of dung and this oven mentions dried dung as one of it's sources of heat.  So, there ya go.

For those of you who are not familiar with the uses of this oven, in a true disaster, with no electricity (and the bottle of gas has gone empty on your gas grill), this little baby will fire up using four, 1/2 " diameter twigs, boil 5 liters of water in under 20 minutes, and keep it simmering it for another 45 minutes


For those of you familiar with the Eco Zoom, there used to be a problem with the insulation on the fire door deteriorating.  This problem has been taken care of by encasing the fire door insulation in metal.  (see left arrow in photo above)

The rack is placed up to the fire chamber and your twigs, sticks, or twelve inch long boards of untreated 1x3s are laid on this rack and fed INTO the fire chamber as needed.


Included in the box was a grate for charcoal use, and a large ring (see below) that can be wrapped around any cooking pot, to form a close seal so that there is less heat loss into the air and more concentrated heat for the cooking pot.


THEY THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!


The 12 inch cooking surface is CAST IRON! 


Although it LOOKS as if my 12" skillet is hanging over the sides, it is not.  It is merely the angle of the photo.

I ordered it through Amazon, as I did the Berkey water filter and I'm thrilled with the service of Amazon, as well as the quality of both the water filter system and the Eco Zoom.

Now I can get back to concentrating on buying single serve veggies, potted meats, as well as single serve oatmeals and grains.

I don't consider myself paranoid or a prepper.

I'm merely moving forward with some common sense where planning for any kind of temporary emergency is concerned.

("Temporary" being the operative and hopeful word.)





36 comments:

  1. My Dad would have been all over that! He loved his dehydrator, too! (and I loved his dehydrated veggies, fruits and jerky)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next experiment is going to be making beef jerky using my NU WAVE oven I bought on TV at 3am, during my insomnia marathon.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoy your new ZOOM VERSA prepper stove. And to order it from Amazon. That fine company that treats its British employees like dirt! Hope it's not the same over there...

    Take care and keep smiling.

    Penny the Jack Russell dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most employees of any company are routinely treated like dirt. So I guess that means Amazon is 'carrying on with tradition'. I dunno.

      Delete
  3. Soooo...when ya gonna use it and what'cha gonna cook on it...beside boiling water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to put up a video of me frying pork chops, but I don't know how to get a video to display on blogger. It always says it's too long, even if it's just a minute video!

      Delete
    2. Load it to YouTube and then it will give you the option to post it to blogger and poof... it'll be there, ready to go.

      Delete
    3. I*HAD*NO*IDEA. But then again, my video will be up there with the rest of humanity!!!! Oh Lawd, Lawd. What's a virgin to do.

      Delete
    4. If you make it unlisted, only people with the link can view it... of course... IT WILL BE PUBLIC ON YOUR BLOG.

      Delete
  4. I am coming to your house when the big kaboom happens! I just hope I can drive there on a half tank of gas!

    Whee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just park your car wherever you run out of gas and call me and Stud to come get you. (You know we would)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this. I really didn't know much about these, and this looks very good. Where do they recommend it be used to avoid carbon monoxide, decks, patios ? How far from a house or door ? I am having my own nightmare induced insomnia marathon now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a ton of Youtube videos. The instructions say to NOT use it in an enclosed space such as the garage. But with adjustments of the fire door, it puts out very little smoke. I would place it away from the side of the house as you would any cooking object such as a charcoal or gas grill. There are NO exposed flames.

      Delete
    2. Lotta Joy, I think I will definitely have to save for this. Thank you so much for letting me know about it.

      Delete


  6. Now you got me thinking about looking into getting one as well - but I'll wait until you've used yours to read the review. We have never really had a power outage for more than a few hours and that was ages ago. I could always start a campfire in the yard and roast weenies.

    Whatever you do, don't watch any doomsday prepper shows on television, or else you may decide to have Stud blow a hole through some rock for a bug out location. That show cracks me up to no end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And most of those doomsday preppers, (and now BUNKER PREPPERS) are hitting the 400 pound mark and couldn't outrun a snowflake. Like all things, there's the reality shows that put the word "nut" in the situation.

      We cooked on it last night. Very little smoke. We are new to it, but had no trouble lighting the twigs. I happened to try out one of my prepper fire starters for the fun of it. (cotton balls with vaseline in them) You start the twigs, then get a few skinny pieces of wood going. The pot heats best that covers the ENTIRE cooking surface. Our fried eggs and balogna came out as it would over any gas stove.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lotta Joy ! Seems like a sound investment then. Bunker Preppers who couldn't outrun a snowflake - oh bahahahahahah ! Too funny but oh so true.

      Some of those guys shouldn't worry about the end of mankind, as they're just a heart attack away from the end of their days anyhow. Go figure.

      Take Care !

      Delete
  7. Your way of explaining the whole thing in this piece of writing is really fastidious, every one be able to easily know it, Thanks a lot.
    Also see my webpage: cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd avoid using dried dung for fuel. It doesn't add a pleasant aroma to the cooking experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're supposed to use it as a heat source? Damn. I didn't quite understand that part and wondered why it cooked up so fast. (it tasted like shit)

      Delete
  9. .....so, what did you cook on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hoosier life line: Fried eggs and balogna.

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite sandwiches is a fried egg and fried bologna, with raw onions and mustard. I never knew it was such a staple in other parts of the country. I'll add it to my list, which includes potted meat and saltines.

      Delete
    3. Our favorite breakfast (and it was the favorite at the firehouses in Indiana) is to fry up a skillet of potatoes and when they're getting crunchy/done, add a mess of eggs and cut up bologna. That's the high life of eating!

      Delete
  10. In a true disaster I'll be heading to your house. Please don't blow me away on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Approach slowly, with your hands up and your hat off. You'll be okay.....after I frisk ya!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Don't laugh! If you've never tried it, fry up some potatoes and when they're done, add eggs and cut up bologna. It is GOOD for breakfast!

      Delete
  12. This is genius. As usual. I rather want one myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My three boys will be happy to provide the dung. May I mail it to you, or do you prefer FedEx?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite the set-up. Having to use it outside, to avoid smoke in the house, may be a challenge. But you don't get -40° weather, or two feet of snow.

    Merry Christmas to you and your two studs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great. Hope you tell us how it goes when you try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I'm convinced.
    I'm gonna get mine out of the garage, pretend it's a Christmas present, and open the box to see if mine is neat as yours.
    (And the relatively smoke-free operation illustrated on YouTube is part of what sold me.)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. I can always delete it.