Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I WAS ABLE TO SPEND A DAY AWAKE. ALERT THE PRESS.

Imagine my surprise when I did a google search on Acesulfame potassium last night.  I'm HIGHLY allergic to sulfa.  In fact, when I ask a medical person if the medicine they're prescribing for me has sulfa in it, they always look at the name of the med and say  "Nope!".  And my accompanying rash and harsh reaction proves them "Wrong!".

I drink Diet Cherry Coke constantly.  And I itch, have a permanent rash, and feel like I've been beaten with an ax handle.

My joints hurt.  My long bones hurt.  My blood sugar hits 300 and knocks me out for 12 hours at a time.  In other words, I feel bad ALL * THE * TIME.

And Diet Cherry Coke is full of it.  (This is NOT to be confused with aspartame)

Acesulfame potassium is a form of sulfa.  But I'm addicted to everything that contains it.

And it's everywhere.  Even in the healthy MUSCLE MILK PROTEIN I've started using.

So, today. . . . ONLY water, or iced tea.  *croak*  Water is nastay. But I must test my theory:

This is a test.  This is just a test.  In case of an actual emergency, you would be directed to tune to the nearest disaster channel on your dial.  Now known as the  O'bama channel.... but I digress.

Yesterday, with no acesulfame potassium in me,  I managed to stay awake all day, and here's what I accomplished standing up.


Here's one of the birds I saved last year from a large group of men from Michigan who were killing them with high powered sling-shots and steel bearings.   Do any of you remember THAT piece of fierceness from your aging blogger?

I now carry my 9mm and keep FISH AND WILDLIFE on speed-dial when we visit our spot during Snowbird season.  I realize I could have been walking into a volatile situation that day when I accosted those men, and next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) I'll be protected.

Having never made a quilt in my life, one of the women at church showed me the errors of my way and I carefully began finishing my quilt with knowledge and timidity.

That's me.  Yep.  Bare feet and jammies.  

Hair having not been combed since election day, 
and working on my quilt at 10pm.

 All I can say is I was happy I hadn't set fire to it at this point.  
That thing is HEAVY and HOT...... like me.

The flannel "blue ticking" from Indiana wasn't large enough for the backing,
 so I added a strip of floral flannel down the middle.
Now it's starting to look like an OLD quilt, which made me happy.

SHABOOM, SHABANG. 
 COWABUNGA AND YOWZA.

My Indiana quilt, finished four years later in Floruba.

********************

The post has been requested where I came up against about five men who were happily killing the waterfowl around a pier we visit regularly.

The slingshots were illegal as were the steel ball bearings they were using to break the backs of the birds as they would come up to the men in complete innocence.

I walked up to them and, in a friendly voice asked "Where ya'll from?"

"MICHIGAN"  was the answer.

I used every fowl word in my repertoire, went toe-to-toe with the leader and screamed at them that these birds were protected and they should get their asses back to Michigan, home of steers and ***** and I saw no horns on any of them.

They rightly assumed I was a crazy woman, but this GROUP of men quickly hid their slingshots while trying to back me down.

I didn't budge.  I think I had a heart attack, but after two hours it went away.

It was loud.  It was aggressive, and I'd do it again.  But next time I'll have personal protection on me.

The birds, sadly, died from drowning.

I called the fish, game and wildlife when I was able to get a signal.  IF I could have called them in time, each man there would have been arrested and face jail time.

The entire post is on the old blog that got hacked. 

31 comments:

  1. 4 years? I am amazed that it got finished after that long.

    I will have to look back at the story about the guys from Michigan...

    Good luck with the sulfa experiment, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find it for you and send it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the lowdown on that - I like you more and more!

      Delete
    3. I grow on people like fungus.

      Delete
  2. Now quilting? I there no end to your talents? And taking four years to complete is actually a testamony to your dedication and determination. Be proud. BTW - I think being "addicted" to that which you are allergic to is common. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I brought the pieces of quilt from Indiana when I moved. It was just another piece of the puzzle where relocating my mind is concerned.

      Delete
  3. I drink diet coke ALL THE TIME. I keep reading on how bad it is for the body, but I NEED IT. Water here is pretty good...from the bottle. We are on well water and I don't trust unfiltered and untreated water. So we have a water machine and it cost $1.75 for 5 gallons at Wal Mart. And you did a great job on the quilt regardless of how long it took you. It's like joining the military or going to college. Eventually you will finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a big difference between the diet COKES. The Cherry Coke is my drug of choice, but I'm going to have to change to PEPSI just to get away from that one particular ingredient.

      Delete
  4. Love the quilt. Congrats on finishing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll do the binding today if I can stay awake.

      Delete
  5. That quilt is amazing, congrats on getting it finished I know you are going to enjoy it.

    As for standing up to the guys killing the birds I applaud you as so few people would actually do this, I can just see the whole group backing down and yes they should have been arrested had you been able to get in touch with the authorities, it takes a sick person to coax a living creature up to only kill them for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I WAS ALONE. No Stud backing me up. But I'd do it again. It was a serious confrontation, believe me when I say that. I was screaming at those men at the top of my voice, did not stammer, and had a unique way of putting every vulgar word together that I've ever heard. And I took not ONE STEP backwards.

      In hindsight, I'm glad I wasn't armed at the time. I was too mad at the time to think right.

      Delete
    2. I understand completely and was serious when I said I applaud you for making a stand here. Yes they were most likely lucky you were not packing :)

      Delete
  6. Lotta Joy - Congrats on your completed quilt, which by the way I love very much. Very nice fabrics mixed with an array of colors and designs - it looks smashing ! It was a labor of love and I hope you keep it for yourself. And yes, that vintage look that quilts have is just awesome !

    My god gurlie you deserve a hero's medal for standing up to those punks like you did. I would have done exactly the same thing and I did on three separate occasions here at my favorite lake spot. We can't carry legally here in Canada which may have been a good thing for these creeps.

    I may well have ended their days of cruelty against our local wildlife in an instant. I loose it when I see scumbags harming animals of any description - I chased them away three times, but after I beat the crap out of their chicken shit leader it finally worked. I was expecting to get charged by the RCMP when they arrived by boat. I didn't, instead they shook my hand while the wounded creeps watched handcuffed from the boat. I never saw them back there again.

    If there is ever another encounter for you please have your weapon with you. I had a clip it knife and I took martial arts for a long time so I was basically fearless.

    Take Care :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fearless. Alarmingly so. I think my ferocious attack made them think I was either armed, or help was on its way, but I was alone on a long pier with five men crowding in on me. It was a LONG walk off that pier for me, but I stationed myself at the gate and had several cigarettes while APPEARING to be casually waiting for them to give up and leave. I was basically hoping my heart would get back in rhythm.

      Delete
  7. That quilt is beautiful! Quilting is on my "to learn" list, along with a billion other things. I keep buying scraps of fabric from estate sales that I am hiding from my husband.

    Plus, I have about 500 Crown Royal bags of various sizes that will eventually be made into a fireside throw. He keeps threatening to throw them out everytime he goes in the 'junk' closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF NOT for some guidance over the phone from a long time quilter, it would have been disastrous and I would have been crushed.

      If you ever need some tips (that aren't on Google - I looked) email me. They turned out to be NECESSARY.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you for standing up for those poor birds. You are a kick-ass woman.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have warned Stud many times, that one day he might have to bail me out of a fight that my mouth got me into. And I regret being old and breakable now, but my mouth is still as active as ever.

      I DO think I got completely MENTAL with those guys. Sometimes CRAZY actually intimidates bullies. I'm proof.

      Delete
  9. I remember that post about the men with the slingshots killing the birds. I believe it was one of the first posts of yours I read. That was about a year ago, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practically to the day dear heart. You're one brainiac and I admire your total recall.

      Delete
  10. Isn't it amazing what hidden things are in, not just the things we consume, but the things we use on a daily basis. Quite often under names we aren't familiar with.

    I remember the bird story! Too bad you didn't have your gun with you.

    Good job on the quilt and the detective work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now glad I didn't have my gun. I do realize I have an inability to control my RAGE when an animal is at stake.

      Delete
  11. Guess I'd better check my diet dr. Pepper can! Your quilt is nice! Good for snuggling! I tried to find you on Pinterest, but I couldn't find you. Here is a link to my page. http://pinterest.com/happycamper302/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say this, but I have a pinterest page. . . . there. . . somewhere. I don't even know my own url!! I popped it on during a night of insomnia.

      Tomorrow I'm doing a lot of reading in the cola aisle at the grocery store. I HATE Pepsi, but I think one of them is made with Splenda.

      Two days not drinking acesulfame potassium and I'm noticing a bit of improvement in my energy. Or not. Won't know til I wake up.

      Delete
    2. I hope you can find a substitute for your diet cherry coke. You can enjoy your days when you're able to stay awake! You'll have to search for yourself on Pinterest!

      Delete
  12. Lotta Joy,

    I love your quilt, great job my friend!!!! So what if it took you 4 years, you got it done that's what counts.

    Thank you for standing up for wild life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stud insisted he was chilly last night while watching TV. He's sweet, and it was 77 degrees in the house. So he got first use of it. I tucked my feet under it and got a great foot massage while watching HARDCORE PAWN.

      Delete
  13. Love the quilt, looks just like the kind my grandma used to make. I still have the one she made me when I was 23 in my cedar chest.

    I remember the bird story. I was fuming. I woulda been right behind you, babe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bird story grabbed a lot of people and I wish we could have all been banned together that day. There would be five men from Michigan swimming with the fishes.

      Delete
  14. That is really interesting, I'm going to have to check that bad stuff out and see what all it's found in! I LOVE your quilt! I once crocheted an afghan for my little sister as a wedding present. It was finished just in time for their 5th anniversary! LOL I can see you standing up to those dumbasses from Michigan. Bless you for having heart for the birds... and yes, next time be packin' heat!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. I can always delete it.